This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook

Since yesterday was Eli's birthday, I decided to devote all of my posts to him. So, this week's Daybook is coming a day late. And I'm going to skip my What a Kid! Wednesday post, because it's Christmas week and by default all my kids are great this week!


For Today ~ December 23, 2009

Outside my window... it's just finished raining.

I am thinking... about how Christmas really starts for me today, because we finished the last of the birthdays yesterday. I just can't fully be thinking "Christmas" until that happens. So now, today, I have lots of preparations to begin.

I am thankful ... for family and getting to spend Christmas with them.

I am wearing... my pjs and robe. I intentionally slept in today (if you call 8:30 sleeping in), and am needing to get moving for a busy day. Gotta get in my computer time, though.

I am remembering... Christmas traditions of my childhood: Going to my Grandma Alice's on Christmas Eve (loved that Christmas celebration!), then to Calhoun to some friends' with a huge group of people until really late that night; doing Santa on Christmas morning; then how the Christmas tree was undecorated and in the ditch by noon on Christmas Day before we went to my Grandma Joan's in the afternoon.

I am creating... a frenzy of wrapping paper and such today. Gotta get those gifts wrapped!

I am going... to doctor's appointments the next two days to have all of my womanlies checked .. Merry Christmas to me!

I am reading... The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (YES, still, still ... again), and it's my goal to finish it next week at my parents'.

I am hoping... that the weather in Missouri doesn't get bad over the next two days so that my family (including my daughter) is able to make it here Christmas Day.

On my mind... is when we will be allowed to move and what we are to do in the meantime.

From the learning rooms... NOTHING! Although I am finishing working with Eli on learning his full name, birthday, parents' names, telephone number and address so that when he gets back to school he can recite it to join his class' High Five Club.

Pondering these words ... "Oh mommy, it is so very perfect!" ~ Eli when he came in and saw the extremely amateur on-the-fly all-taped-up Mario Brothers centerpiece I made for his birthday party. It was all worth it at that moment.

From the kitchen... we're eating lots of yummies this week!!! Can't wait! I am also going to make homemade Almond Joy balls sometime today. You use mashed potatoes .. isn't that strange?

Around the house... there are Hot Wheels cars everywhere, and a huge Hot Wheels trick track that's hooked to my dishwasher door and runs the full length of the kitchen into the dining room.

One of my favorite things... is the true belief of Eli and Brynne that Santa is watching them and really going to come bring them presents! I have used the "Oh, you better not do that because Santa is watching" trick like crazy and as soon as I say it they straighten right up and say, "I'm sorry mommy". I have been asked several times if I think they are still on the Nice list. I think they might still be.

A few plans for the rest of the week... I have a doctor's appointment today and then am getting my nails done. Most of the day today will be devoted to wrapping presents. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and Rick's sister and her family will come to celebrate with us as we always do on Christmas Eve. We'll be up at the crack of dawn, or before, on Christmas morning and my family and Kyndal are (hopefully) coming to spend the day and night. We'll spend the whole day eating, and hopefully playing some cards. On Saturday the kids and I will get up and head to Missouri to spend several days at my parents'. While we're gone Rick will take down all of the Christmas decorations and get them stored. When I come home, my house will be back to normal. (I love it that he is an organization freak!)

From my picture journal.


My best attempt at a Mario Brothers centerpiece.

Get to know other special women at The Simple Woman's Daybook.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on the centerpiece, Nicole! Didn't expect anything less though. You'll have to share the recipe for the almond joy balls. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that Rick takes down all the decorations! That is awesome:) Today I feel like you did last week. I spent all day in 1st grade. I'm exhausted:) I hope you have had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a wonderful merry christmas!

    we are getting ready for the blizzard here!

    hope they make it to you guys before the bad weather starts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love for you to post hte recipe for the almond joy bars if you can

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!