This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Tumultuous Thanksgiving

There were certainly ups and downs to our Thanksgiving holiday. I actually had a full post completed, laying it all out, and ending in a large paragraph of frustrations. Not what you would expect for a Thanksgiving post!

However, one of the blogs I follow touched on this exact topic today. And I knew I couldn't post it.

I asked myself, "What good would it do? Who would it affect? Would any of those effects be positive?" In answering those questions I realized that posting it as is would be wrong. I've always been known to be completely transparent and real. But I have also been told at times that my blog only contains the good things about people in my life, who aren't all good. I've been told that my blog makes people in my life out to look like people they are not.

I'll be honest .. right now I am so angry at and so frustrated with and so disappointed in a small group of people in my life. And I want to spell it out! I want to call them out! I want the world to know what they have done and what they are doing!

But, I won't. I will just cry to and vent my frustrations to the Lord today (and the ears of my poor husband).

I agree with the Titus 2 ladies that we have to be mindful of the things we post. Don't think for a minute that just because I attempt to only post about the positive qualities of those in my life, that they don't have negative qualities too. But it's not my place to lay those out for the world to see. I will do my best, at all times, to put forth those I love, and even those I don't, in a positive light (even though my flesh really, really, really wants to let somebodies have it!)

So with that in mind, here is a recap of our weekend:

On Thanksgiving morning Rick and I and the two little ones drove the 4+ hours to my grandmother's to have Thanksgiving dinner with my dad and his side of the family. My mom, sister, niece and daughter were getting home from their cruise that night, and Dawson was spending Thanksgiving with his dad and that side of his family.

These are the only two pictures I took on Thanksgiving Day.

Eli and Brynne watching "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" at Grandma and Papa's


Eli and his Great Grandma Joan on Thanksgiving Day. He loves his grandmas.

Rick and I got up way before the crack of dawn on Black Friday and headed to the Walmart sale. We snagged a couple of the items on our list, although not what we ultimately went there for. We ate breakfast afterward, because the sun still wasn't up. Then we made a trip up to Kansas City to look around. Our eventual dream is to sell our house here in Oklahoma, for Rick to get a job in the Kansas City area, and for us to move up there closer to my family. We had a really nice day driving around from town to town just checking things out. We stayed in a hotel (alone!) that night, and I am sad to say that we were in our pjs and ready for bed by 6:30 p.m.! At 8:30 we just gave up and went to sleep! Yes, we are getting old! But it was so nice to go to bed without having to get everybody else ready for bed first. Thanks, mom!

After such a great day on Thanksgiving Day, and a fun day in the city, the turkey hit the fan on Saturday. Unfortunately the events affected many, many people, so our actual Thanksgiving dinner yesterday afternoon with my family had a huge cloud hanging over it. Because I was so looking forward to that time, I was so disappointed and, as Dawson put it, glum.

And today I am still a little glum. But, I am doing my best to remember that people are who they are, and will not be changed without a personal change of their own hearts. I cannot take that personal, nor can I be responsible for it. At some point people, all people, have to be held responsible for their own feelings, happiness and actions. There are natural consequences to behavior.

I have to just sit back and let those consequences occur. I don't have a choice.

In the meantime I will not be moved from what I know to be right, no matter who is upset about it.

But I will be sad at the reality of it all.

** Update: In response to an Anonymous (hateful toned) comment left for me that I have not been all positive in previous posts (I just love Anonymous comments), I would like to say this. I never said I have always been positive in all of my posts. I said I try. And I don't always succeed. If you remember in reading the beginning of this post, I actually had a pretty harsh one set to post. I was convicted by a post I read at Titus 2 this morning that made me revise it. I have never said I was perfect, by any stretch. Quite the contrary, I am a flawed woman. I'm just learning as I go. But I learned something today. Anonymous .. did you?

4 comments:

  1. aww so sorry about thanksgiving! that stinks! like my sister says it wouldn't be a holiday with family if something doesn't go wrong :)

    How was KC I want to hear all about it EMAIL me!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to read that Thanksgiving wasn't all that you had hoped for. However, good for you on taming the tongue... or should I say taming the blog. :) One of the blogs I follow talks about not trying to be the Holy Spirit for someone else but instead ducking out of the way (not running away) so that God can deal with them.
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that things were a little off for you. Praying for you to have peace with whatever people in your life are causing you pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole,
    I am so sorry things were tumultuous but am so glad you heard from the Lord about your sharing your frustration. Continue to seek HIM, and listen and you will be Comforted, you will be blessed for your obedience too

    Praying for you. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!