This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Monday, November 23, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 6 1/2 pound roast for $1.68 a pound. I was surprised at how much meat was there, so planned three meals out of it. We had a crockpot roast, potatoes and vegetables one night; beef kabobs with fresh veggies and brown rice another night; and crockpot french dip sandwiches last night.

Oh my gosh! Those meals were so good! My husband was thrilled and said last night what a good buy that roast was!

Look at these kabobs!


I just cut the roast into chunks and sprinkled them with homemade steak seasoning that I got from a recipe off recipezaar.com (I don't have the link. I did it so long ago that I have a seasoning container full of it.) Then I loaded my skewers with the roast, squash, mushrooms, green peppers and onions. I threw them on the George Foreman and they were done in no time. Rick loved them!!

And this is what I did for the little kids so they would eat it. I've mentioned my tactics before. But, I just made some brown rice and cut up all of the vegetables in diced pieces with the meat and mixed it in. They ate it all. And they got veggies !! :)


Then last night I used the last of the roast to make Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches. To make the sandwiches I cooked the meat all afternoon in the crock pot with the beef broth I had saved from when I cooked the roast earlier in the week. The actual recipe is also on recipezaar.com. I can't link to it because I have it bookmarked in Safari (which is down) and I'm using Firefox right now. I tried to find it with a search and couldn't. Sorry! I do know it takes a 12 oz. bottle of beer (that actually totally adds to the flavor) and I added some minced garlic and extra beef broth made from bouillon. I also added about 3 tablespoons onion powder and some diced onions. After I took the meat out I sprinkled in salt to make it on the salty side. About an hour before we ate I took it out and sliced it and added it back to the broth. I took steak rolls, spread butter on them and sprinkled on garlic salt. I baked them at 350* for about 5 minutes and then broiled them. I loaded them with the meat and we dipped them in the homemade au jus. So good!!!

All three meals together were about $15.00 and over-the-top delicious!

Now on to this weeks menu (much less dramatic!!)


Monday ~ Soft tacos and homemade guacamole

Tuesday ~ Bacon egg and cheese biscuits (didn't get to this last week)

Wednesday ~ Cheeseburger macaroni

Thursday, Friday, Saturday ~ Turkey, dressing, dad's homemade noodles, lot of sides, a turkey sandwich or 5, bowls of heated up noodles, some noodles with dressing on the side, more turkey, definitely more noodles, pumpkin pie, pecan pie and some no bake cookies that I beg my mom to make.

Sunday ~ Frozen pizzas when we get home

I can already taste the noodles!!!

Head over to OrgJunkie for more menu ideas. I bet there's lots of tasty Thanksgiving treats there this week!

5 comments:

  1. I'm coming over for dinner! That looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great! I have to post my plan today sometime,

    right now i'm stripping my oldest wall paper border so we can tranform her room into a wolf room this weekend! she is soo excited!! !:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal! I love finding those kinds of deals. A while back, we found some pork loin on sale and we ended up getting about 5 meals out of it for 7.00! That makes me so happy!!

    I hope you have a wonderful week and a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those kabobs look awesome. Hopefully I'll remember this great idea the next time I buy a roast.
    ~Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you purchase the pork loin at Sam's Club? I thought I read that they were on sale for under $2.

    Great buy and thanks for sharing the recipes! They would be a great hit in our house.

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!