This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Parenting is Hard!

Do you ever feel like your life, if you're a parent, consists of constantly disciplining somebody?

When I had my children I had this vision of my little creations and how we would just spend time together and enjoy each other. Sure, I'd have to teach them things along the way, but I created them so that I could enjoy them! Why do I have to spend all my time disciplining them?

I know the answer to that question, of course. We discipline those we truly love because we see their potential and we want them to learn from their mistakes and make better decisions next time. But it's still so hard! I hate disciplining my children, especially when I am being forced by them to do it because of their choices to make bad decisions. I hate being backed into a corner to hand down discipline. It hurts them (in the short term) and frustrates me. And it wouldn't have to be that way if they would just do what they know they are supposed to do.

As I was thinking this I heard God say, "When I had my children I had this vision of my little creations and how we would just spend time together and enjoy each other. Sure, I'd have to teach them things along the way, but I created them so I could enjoy them! Why do I have to spend all my time disciplining them?"

Ouch.

I would imagine God hates being forced to discipline me because of my choices to make bad decisions. But He has no choice. We discipline those we love. God is Love and He loves me, so He has to discipline me.

But he wouldn't have to do it if I would just do what I know I'm supposed to do.

How frustrated He must be with me during those times that I choose to not do what I am supposed to do.

I know the feeling.

This realization doesn't make parenting any easier for me or give me any real comfort in my frustrations.

But hopefully I will remember how God must be feeling when I am being purposefully disobedient, and I will choose to change my behavior without the necessity of being disciplined by God in order to do it.

By practicing that, maybe my children will be taught the greatest lesson of all.

5 comments:

  1. Very inspiring post!! Parenting my stubborn 5yo is exhausting. Thankfully, God is so patient with His stubborn children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really some of us need to hear what your saying , I felt so alone in this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, don't be so hard on yourself! I feel like that too sometimes but really our punishments are easy compared to life!! I wish all my poor choices would just go away with the loss of a cell phone or a missed school activity. Later they'll have to work through the true consequences like us. Sometimes that takes years!! I'm still paying for some mistakes!! We're just trying to teach them now to make better choices and to be responsible so later they won't have to learn the hard way. Someday they'll be our age and be begging for a "time out". (hee-hee)
    Great post, Christie Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know what you mean. I loathe disciplining my children. It hurts me.....and that sounds like such a cliche:) But I know in my heart that what I am doing good for them. I can not count the times I have said "Why am I saying this again?"

    Very ironic, we were just reading a few of Proverbs tonight after dinner (which we have started doing recently with the kids)and my husband read these:

    "Correction and discipline are good for children. If a child has his own way, he will make his mother ashamed of him"
    Proverbs 29:15

    "Discipline your son and you can always be proud. He will never give you reason to be ashamed." Proverbs 29:17

    Hmmmmmm.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this really hit home with me. Thank you, I needed this today. Life has been stressful in our home this week.
    I will just need to remind myself to give all my worries & stresses over to God.
    Thanks again for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!