This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Nicole's Daybook

Outside my window... It is going to be another too-hot day. It's especially yucky because we had a few teaser days of cooler weather last week.

I am thinking... about how glad I am I do not have to put my kids on the bus in the morning and then rush off to work for a tiring day, to then come home and have to do my family responsibilities. I am so thankful that I get to stay home and do what I love.

I am thankful ... that my little kids go to an elementary school that has teachers who work to meet the individual needs of their students.

I am wearing... a pair of jeans (even though it's going to be stinking hot today .. this time of year I just can't wait to get into jeans), a white t-shirt, a cropped striped nautical themed cardigan and black flats.

I am planning... lessons for Dawson, at all times. I'm always looking for interesting things we can add to our unit.

I am creating... nothing this week. After Brynne's birthday party this past weekend, I need a few days off.

I am going... to continue to be mindful of the needs of every member of my family and do what I can to provide for their needs, all without losing energy and without losing myself in the process. Hefty challenge, I know. But this issue of balance is a constant struggle.

I am reading... Mad Dash, by Patricia Gaffney.

I am hoping... that I get back into my cash-only system of spending money so that I can keep a better handle on my budgeting. I have really slacked in this area this summer.

On my mind... is how being "chosen" is so important to me. I want to be important to people and it drives me, too much I think.

From the learning rooms... Kyndal is continuing to put a lot of effort into her school work. Dawson is still learning about Ancient Egypt and keeping very busy! (You can click on the Journey to Excellence link on the right sidebar to keep up with his progress.) We met with Eli's teacher and resource teacher last week to discuss ways to help him complete his work and transition to the next assignment without being frustrated. We came up with a cool system, I think. Brynne continues to rule kindergarten. She is doing great, is well-behaved and a blessing to her teacher (in a class where she has 30 kindergarteners!).

Noticing that ... I allow my busyness to run over the relationships in my life. My love language is Acts of Service, so I naturally serve others to show them I love them. But that's not the love language of any of my family members, I don't believe, so when all I do is serve, serve, serve, they don't feel loved. Again, a constant struggle! Time to slow down and just love my family. But how do I do that in the midst of doing all I do and, consequently, loving all I do?

From the kitchen... is almost everything we had on the menu last week because we just seemed not to get to much of it.

Around the house... Trees have been cut down and trimmed. We had several dead (big) trees on our acre lot and it was sad to see them down. But, our property looks so much better now, especially after Rick spent time this weekend trimming the ones we still have.

One of my favorite things... is having my sweet, fat, fuzzy Quincy curled up right next to my stomach while I sleep.

A few plans for the rest of the week... Tonight is Kyndal's Back-to-School night at her school. Rick, hopefully, gets back from a last-minute business trip to Nebraska. Tomorrow evening Tess is coming over to spend some time with Dawson for a while and Kyndal has physical therapy. On Thursday she has physical therapy again and Dawson and I will volunteer at our elementary school. On Friday the older kids are leaving for the weekend with their dad. The rest of us are staying home. I thought we might go roller skating on Saturday. But, we'll see. I really plan to do nothing on Sunday! Monday is Labor Day and we have nothing planned.

From my picture journal.


I saw this truck this morning and it reminded me that I had taken this picture when I was behind it one day. It's the back of a septic tank truck. This is especially funny to our family because my dad does this for a living. He calls his septic tank truck "The Turd Hearse".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!