This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Lost Art Reborn

Back in 1981, or thereabouts, I would come home from church on Sunday morning and stare at the clock until just before 1:00 p.m.

What was I waiting on? Rosie's Roller Rink to open!

I went roller skating every Sunday afternoon from 1-5 p.m. I am certain it was the highlight of my week.

I wasn't allowed to go on Friday nights because that's when all the older kids went and I heard they shut the lights down for couples skating.

Fast forward to 2007. Dawson's 5th grade class was going roller skating for their field trip. I went and donned some roller skates for the first time since I was probably 16 years old. It's like riding a bike ... you never forget how to do it.

Watching those poor kids try to skate told me that roller skating had become a lost art. (Because those of us who are 30 years and older know that roller skating was an art!)

It's now 2010 and my family cannot get enough of roller skating. We went a couple of weeks ago for our neighbor's birthday party and had so much fun! This past Saturday Brynne wanted to go again to celebrate her birthday. Again, we had a blast! And this time Eli and Brynne even started skating in the practice rink by themselves ... all the way across it and back, over and over and over!

Will we go skating again?? Absolutely! And hopefully soon!

What a fun thing to do as a family! It's great exercise and we do lots of smiling and laughing. This week Rick and I even got to do some couple's skating with the lights down!! Of course I had to be the one to skate backwards. And later he chased me around the rink.

Where was he in 1981?



"It's my birthday {tomorrow} and I'll pout if I want to."
(Don't you love the retro carpet covered benches?)


(Yes, I had on skates!)





1 comment:

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!