This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Just Bring Me Some Coffee, and Don't Make Me Climb Any Rocks to Get It! ~ Hawaii Day 4

On the 4th day of our cruise we were in Kona and had nothing planned.

Of course I had said that before, huh?

I told Rick that I didn't want to even climb a flight of stairs this day! And I meant it!

We got up at 7:30 a.m. (a little later again), ate breakfast and showered. We didn't even walk or run that morning. We had gotten enough exercise the two days before to last us a lifetime.

We were anchored out in the cove at Kona, which is always a beautiful view (rather than being ported in an actual port with port authority buildings and such.)

We rode the tender onto the island and just walked around. We bought some more souvenirs, including some real coffee grown in Kona at the Country Samurai Coffee Company in Holualoa, Hawaii. We talked to the wife of the owner of the coffee farm. It's pretty good, but I wish I would have bought a stronger brew.

Rick loves the trees in Hawaii .. the giant bonsai ones especially. We took lots of pictures of trees. We wish we had them like that here in Oklahoma.

Back when we first got off the airport in Honolulu, we were riding the shuttle to the ship with one of the waiters on our ship. He told us that we needed to go have lunch and a locally brewed beer at Kona Brewing Company. So, that's the only adventurous thing we did. We walked several blocks (uphill .... grrrrr ....) and had lunch and some beers. There you could get a large slice of specialty pizza and a large side salad of your choice for $7. Pretty good deal and really good food!

After our lunch we just took the tender back to the ship. We found some pool chairs in the shade. Rick took a nap and I read my book. Ahhhhhh .... relaxing!

Unfortunately we didn't listen to all of the advice from the waiter on the shuttle.

He told us that the ride out of Kona was a rocky one. I am one who takes Dramamine for the first couple of days of a cruise. But this cruise is a bit different because you never really get too far out in the ocean where it's calm. We had made reservations for a Teppanyaki restaurant on board the ship for that night at 7:30 p.m. We hadn't eaten much that day and I had started to develop a headache. I took some Ibuprofen on an empty stomach (first mistake) and then we went up to take formal portraits while we waited for our dinner reservations. We were really excited because the piano lounge singer guy was doing a tribute to Barry Manilow at 9:00 and we wanted to go hear him and have some cocktails (no, I'm not kidding .. we love Barry Manilow and we had heard the pianist practicing and he was pretty good.)

But while waiting in line for the portraits I got really seasick! Super, duper seasick! I took some Dramamine but it was too little too late. We finally decided to reschedule our Teppanyaki reservation for the next night and I headed to bed. We ordered chicken noodle soup and pb&j from room service, and I took the sea sickness pills the hostess at the restaurant gave Rick. He watched a movie and I went to sleep.

And that was Day 4. We never even touched one rock all day.


  1. I didn't want to comment on every post, but I just got caught up on days 2, 3, and 4, and the pictures are so beautiful! It looks like you had an amazing trip!

  2. I have been keeping up with all your fun too! I would love, love go go to Hawaii one day. Cruise...I'm not sure that my stomach would ever agree to it. I am so scared to take the risk of being sick the entire time:) I'm so glad you are home safe and sound.


Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!