This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"What I Got for the Money" Wednesday


Yesterday was just one of those kind of days ... in a good way! I just felt energized, and peaceful, and joyful!  I had The Message playing on the t.v. and was getting caught up on some housework. I just felt God all over everything I was doing all day.

I had my grocery list in hand, and had decided to do two weeks worth of shopping.  I only had a little over an hour to hit both Aldi and Walmart.  Last week I had a big trip to Walmart to just buy "stuff" we were out of, not food.  You know how you have one of those weeks where you are out of everything??  We were all out of vitamins and personal care items and such.  

Sitting in the parking lot at Aldi, I just sat and talked to God for a second.  I said something like, "You know God, I have no idea how much cash I have left in my grocery budget. But, I think it's about $160.  Please just be with me and help me be a good steward of this money and help me not to be tempted to buy things not on my list.  You know, God, I'd really love to be able to have about $50 left after I finish this trip."  In my mind I was thinking I wanted $50 left after Aldi and Walmart, to add to our grocery savings envelope at home. That's the money we are planning to use for food and activities on our summer trip to Yellowstone.

So, I went to Aldi and was able to get the majority of my groceries there.  I was thrilled!  Then I headed to Walmart. (Our Walmart is being remodeled so nothing is where it used to be. Urrgghhh!)  Throughout Walmart I kept noticing there were things on my list I couldn't find. But they were things I didn't really need at this moment.

When I paid at the register I noticed that I had some cash left.  When I got to the car I counted it.  I had a $20, 2 $10s, a $5 and exactly 5 $1 bills.  I had exactly $50 left!  I had already gotten milk the day before, so didn't have to go buy milk.  But, I did have to buy bread at the Wonder store still. (But remember, I had asked for $50 after I went to Aldi and Walmart).  I just laughed.  I was, like, "God ... you are so awesome!  I should have asked for $100 to be leftover!!"

So, here's how I did this week:

BRAUM'S
3 Gallons milk  $9.27
1 packaged sliced american cheese  1.79
Total with tax  $12.00

ALDI
Cottage cheese  $1.99
Mini marshmallows  .85
Can chili  .99
2.95 lbs. bananas  1.33
Sugar free popcicles  1.99
8 oz. block mozzarella cheese  1.29
(4) frozen pizzas  3.96
Gallon freezer bags  1.99
(2) Crescent rolls  2.98
(3) Cream chicken  1.42
Can biscuits  1.19
1 lb. sausage  1.99
8.1 lb. ground beef  8.24
Dozen eggs  1.29
Paper napkins  1.49
(2) 3 c. shredded cheddar cheese  5.58
(3) Swiss rolls  2.97
Margarine quarters  .59
3 c. shredded mexican cheese  2.49
4 c. shredded mozzarella  3.29
Spaghetti sauce  .99
Canola oil  2.79
3 lb. red delicious apples  1.89
Plastic cups  .99
Frozen orange juice  1.25
Spaghettios with meatballs  .79
Corn tortillas  1.19
Bran flakes  1.49
Evaporated milk  .69
Taco seasoning  .33
Can cashews  2.19
Paper plates  1.19
Can peas  .49
Frozen broccoli  .99
8 rolls toilet paper  1.78
Potato chips  1.29
Grapes  2.88
Cheese curls  .99
Total with tax  $77.65

WALMART

Groceries
Pork steak  $5.59
Boneless skinless chicken breast  6.48
Crispix cereal  2.92
Manicotti noodles  1.38
(3) Mac and cheese  2.22
Chick peas  .74
Apple juice  1.97
Peanut butter  3.28
Soup  1.62
Shredded parmesan cheese  1.78
Hot dogs  .88
2 ltr. Dr. Pepper (Free)
Celery  1.36
Bologna  1.00
Salami  1.12
Junior lunchable  1.94
Can chilies  .67
Berry bagels  1.78
(2) Frozen mozzarella sticks  2.00
Bulk goldfish  6.46

Household
Sterlite box  4.00
Trash bags  2.97
Cheese grater  2.97
10 pk mechanical pencils  1.33
Baby wipes  1.50

Total Grocery  $49.12
Total Household  $13.86

WONDER/HOSTESS BREAD STORE
(3) Loaves wheat bread  $4.04
Total with tax  $4.38

Total Groceries  $ 143.15 (** for two weeks of groceries, so $72.00 per week)
Total Houshold  $13.86 (** plus $78.76 from last week, so $92.62)

Based on the last month, shopping every two weeks is definitely the way to go for me.  I've got my average weekly down to around $80 a week instead of about $95 or more.

And when I got home my two boys brought in all of my groceries from the car.  Chivalry is not dead!

Of course I posted this over at Gayle's.

1 comment:

  1. I have only recently started reading your blog but I just wanted to tell you that you are such an encouragement to me. I love your posts because they are always, completely saturated with God! Everything you write about professes your love and faith in Him! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!