This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunny With More Than a Chance of Sunburn!

Hi everybody! I hope you are enjoying your beautiful weekend! At least it's beautiful here in sunny, warm Oklahoma! The temps have been in the 80's this weekend, sunny all day, with a short thunderstorm in the evenings.

Yesterday Dawson and I got up to go to Old Navy to get $1 flip flops. We planned to get there right when the store opened. So did about 150 other women! When we pulled up the line was around the building! So, never mind. We went to some garage sales instead, which were pretty slim because of the holiday weekend. But it's one of our favorite things to do together, so we had a good time.

When we got home I decided it was time to tackle the hill behind our house.  It's a big hill! Since it would be impossible to mow, and it's too big of an area to mulch, we decided to try to make it look "decorative". The only people who can see it are our snotty neighbors, so I haven't planned to get too worked up about it. But I didn't want it to be an eye sore either. Here was my inspiration from a lawn I saw in Portland.


A couple of days ago I sprayed it down with weed killer. Then yesterday I put on my bikini and cowboy hat and set to work.  First I planted small clumps of monkey grass all around (thanks Steph!). Then Rick brought over some big rocks that we've dug up from our property and placed them all around. Then I planted ajuga around each of the rocks (thanks, Steph, again!). The goal is for the ajuga to take off and cover the hill as a ground cover, with the monkey grass sprouting into big poofs. I also spread some authentic zinnia seeds (thanks once again, Steph!) all over the hill, so I would love to see some zinnia's covering the hill as well. Let's just pray any one of the above happens. I'd like to add some perennials of some kind, but I may watch end-of-the-season sales to snag some cheap.

Here's a photo of the area from a week or so ago.


Here's a photo of what it looked like when I was done.

Now, here's something so fun! As I have stated in several previous posts, I am loving my little container garden! And I have my first cherry tomato! Actually, I have two. But here's a photo of one. I can't wait for it to ripen so I can pluck it off the bush and eat it!

Now, today I am staying indoors to do housework. Did I mention I was on the hill in my bikini (and shorts, duh!)?? Ouch, I am sunburned! My back is fried! Well, the girl at the tanning salon said it's necessary to burn to tan (yes, she seriously said that!), so I guess I'm on the way to being a bronze beauty.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend. We are going to some friends' for dinner tonight, and tomorrow we are going to have a family cookout around our fire pit with hot dogs and s'mores.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! Look at you! Did you have a crowd of men watching your hot thing in that bikini?? :)
    I have to post the picture of the mulch pile that I got from the free mulch place and put on my garden...Made my garden look great!!...and also my front porch where my neighbor ran into it with our go cart and knocked down my 2 support poles on my porch! ouch!! Yep that's a story for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!