This Just In ...

Click on the images on the right sidebar to see what the kids are up to!

Friday, May 8, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Okay, I finally did it. I made homemade laundry detergent today. You can go here to get the recipe.

The Borax was easy to find. It was at Walmart. I had a difficult time tracking down the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, but finally found it at our local Reasor's. Reasor's probably has the Fels Naptha soap, too, but I didn't look. They don't have it at Walmart. I actually picked mine up in Portland while I was there, because I just happened to see it.

All total I think I spent about $7.00 plus the cost of my bucket which was $4.00. The Fels Naptha bar can be used for three batches of soap. The Borax and Washing Soda may last me the rest of my life. I haven't created the mathematical formula for this, but it seems it basically costs next to nothing. I'm sure willing to give it a try. My homemade fabric softener has been awesome, and it only costs about $1.00 for a 64 oz. bottle! I've heard nothing but good things about this homemade laundry detergent.

It was easy to make. I'll let you know how I like it!

** Update: My first regular batch of laundry detergent lasted from May 8th to July 25th. That's almost 3 months. Since my container was only half full the first time, I decided to double the batch this time. That means one batch of laundry detergent will last me close to 6 months!! Awesome! And it probably only cost me about $2.50 for a 6 months' supply, if that!

1 comment:

  1. omg totally inspired. I put Brian right on it heehee.
    I am definately wanting to try the fabric softener and was reading the comments on the detergent and like the idea about putting lavender in the detergent to add a nice smell to it.

    I will let you know if I/we attempt it.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete

Getting comments is the BEST part of blogging! Please leave me one, if you want to! Even if you don't have a blog, just leave me an "Anonymous" comment and sign your name in the body of the comment. I love to see who's reading all this craziness that comes from my mind! Have a great day!